Monday, December 29, 2008

ON A MOON-LIT NIGHT



KAVITA ASIA ASIAN POETRY FESTIVAL
19TH OF MARCH 1988


ON A MOON-LIT NIGHT


On a sky-lit night, long before,
The Goddess among goddess, my mother,
Under the honeying full-moon rays,
evened out the softy sands
paving our cottage frontal square,
called me tenderly to her side,
hugging held my light fore-finger,
taught me right, to write the ‘A’-
over and over erasing it,
the mother letter of the alphabet!

And here I am……
destined by providence to hold the pen,
by profession to scribe poems and prose!
But yet I dare, oh Mother Tamil,
You are now in my hands a sword
to fight the battle of the daily trampled
hungry, clotheless souls in pain -
Unto that commitment I surrender
at your feet, beloved Tamil, my mother !

- Sillaiyoor Selvarajan





No comments: